Answer/ reply in 150 words/ 8 sentences min
Another term for “tightening controls” is “micromanagement.” When management decides to begin to tighten the reins, the damage can be extensive with unforeseen repercussions. Employees who once showed initiative and high levels of productivity will quickly lose their drive as the boss continually attempts to control more and more aspects of any particular project or task. Another unintended consequence will be employees start to work against a micromanager, either actively or passively.
Consider the example of an employee who recognizes an error in a line of code made by their boss. In a normal working environment, the employee would speak up and correct the issue, but in a situation where a micromanager has alienated his staff, the error goes uncorrected. An uncorrected error could potentially cost time and money to rectify after the fact.
Micromanagement with the best intentions can also be seen as bullying, which can cause a drastic drop in morale and force employees to quit. In her book, My Boss is a Jerk: How to Survive and Thrive in a Difficult Work Environment Under the Control of a Bad Boss, Kathleen Rao lists seven items as consequences of micromanagement on employee health. (Barnes, 2015)
1. Stress. This can affect the employee’s work and home life.
2. Health problems, such as heart problems or high blood pressure.
3. Economic problems and job insecurity. Fear of being demoted or losing your job.
4. Emotional strain due to verbal or emotional abuse from the manager, which negatively impacts self-esteem.
5. Fatigue from overwork.
6. Lack of appreciation leaves employees unmotivated because they don’t know if their work is appreciated or valued.
7. Lack of confidence makes meeting with the manager difficult because the manager looks down on the employees.
So, managers who tighten control fail to think paradoxically. In this case, the paradox is “The more control a manager has, the less control a manager has.”
Barnes, Lisa. (2015, March 31). Damaging Effects of Management. Retrieved from: https://patimes.org/damaging-effects-micromanagement/
Our website has a team of professional writers who can help you write any of your homework. They will write your papers from scratch. We also have a team of editors just to make sure all papers are of HIGH QUALITY & PLAGIARISM FREE. To make an Order you only need to click Ask A Question and we will direct you to our Order Page at WriteDemy. Then fill Our Order Form with all your assignment instructions. Select your deadline and pay for your paper. You will get it few hours before your set deadline.